Gaining health requires the right knowledge, skills, and motivation to make lifelong sustainable changes.
To translate your desire into action it takes understanding where you are at related to commitment.
According to most exercise community’s there are about 5 stages of change.
- Precontemplation- The precontemplation stage is where you have not really thought about changing a healthy behavior and do not plan on changing your daily habits for at least six months and you do not think you need to change.
- Contemplation- The contemplation stage is where you have finally gotten around to seriously think about making a change in your lifestyle to gain better health; Stop unhealthy behaviors and are planning to change in the next six months.
- Preparation-The preparation stage is where you have made some plans to change and are taking action within the next month to six weeks.
- Action-The action stage is about six months after you start your healthy life style program and is the peak of your motivation and investment of time. This stage has the highest rate of unhealthy life style relapse. I always say” today is another day to do the things I did not do the day before” so if you do not do the right thing everyday you can always start again the next day.
- Maintenance- The maintenance stage is after the six month of the action stage. The longer you are in the maintenance stage the less risk of unhealthy behavior relapse. Maintenance is more about your lifestyle change and keeping up with your proactive health program.
Now that you know the different stages pick which stage you are in. Depending on the stage you are in will determine what actions you need to take next.
If you are reading this blog you are at least in the contemplative stage.
Here are some basic strategies to help you move forward toward your health and fitness goals.
- If you do something toward your health and fitness goals reward your self with some thing positive like a massage
- It helps to have support and motivation so find your self a cardio buddy
- Have your close friend or spouse support you in your healthy behavior changes
- Make your workouts enjoyable by listening to music
- Use affirmations to help reinforce positive attitude and behaviors
- Set up goals like a 1,2,3 mile walk or run
Well I hope that helps you get started down the road to better health and wellness.
If you would like a Health and Exercise Prescription™ tailored for you and your goals then please contact me.
Thank you for your time and energy….Be well
Jaime J. Hernandez
Health and Exercise Prescriptions®
CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW TO SUBSCRIBE